I travelled the east coast of Australia for just over a month starting in Sydney and finishing in Cairns, the places I stopped along the way were:
Sydney–Katoomba(the blue mountains) – – Byron bay–Surfers Paradise–Brisbane- – Rainbow Beach(Fraser Island)–Agnes Water–Airlie Beach(The Whitsundays)–Cairns
Don’t underestimate the size of Australia which i did as from Sydney to Cairns by coach would take 45 hours!
Follow the link below to see my blog posts from Australia:
Currency: Australian Dollar
- I looked into hiring a car or camper van but what I could find seemed expensive but between a few people it would be economical.
- There are websites that want there vehicles relocating so you can transport there vehicle to a chosen location for no cost, you are just given a time it has to be there by.
- Coaches you have two options greyhound or premier which both offer a hop on hop off bus pass from one place to another.
- Coaches offer overnight journeys which is perfect if your limited for time as you don’t lose any days travelling.
- The budget bus service and cheaper than greyhound.
- They have less services than greyhound and apparently less destinations.
- More expensive option than premier but still reasonably priced.
- Advertises free WiFi on services but from my experience never works for more than a couple of minutes!
- They have more coaches running than premier so you can pick times that fit with you.
- Is expensive if your on a budget so cooking will save you lots of money.
- When i was there domino’s were doing an offer for $5 pizzas.
- If your on a tight budget don’t expect to be eating great food for your duration.
- Make sure you get air con if you are there in the hotter months.
- From Sydney to Cairns the most expensive place i encountered was Sydney at $35 a night.
- Some hostels offer free breakfast.
- Some hostels will offer discounts if you stay for a few nights so asking this could save you a few dollars.
- Many hostels require deposits for plates, cutlery, sheets etc.
Places not to miss:
- The blue mountains
- Fraser island
- The Whitsundays
- Snorkel or dive if you have the money
Artwork in New South Wales art gallery
Sculpture on the coast near Bondi Beach
Didgeridoo Player in Sydney
Sydney Harbour Bridge and sculpture at Sydney contemporary art gallery
View of the opera house from the other side of the harbour
Three Sisters at the blue mountains
Sites along trails at the blue mountains
Goanna on the trail to Byron bay Lighthouse
Humpback whale seen off the coast at Byron Bay
Roma Street Parkland
Me, Cheryl and Bernie, Mt. Coot-Tha lookout
Kookaburra in Brisbane Arboretum
Kangaroos in Brisbane
Lake Mackenzie, Fraser Island
Lake Mackenzie, Fraser Island left-right. Vicky, Rianne, Anne, John, me, Jonathan, Jennifer, James
Team photos group C Fraser Island. Second Photo Front: left, Jonathon, right. Jennifer. Middle: left, John. Centre, James. Right, Me. Back: left, Anne. Centre, Vicky. Right, Rianne
Myn and Jennifers injuries from champagne pools
Fraser island, indian head
Fraser island, indian head Left-right. Me, Vicky, James, Anne, Rianne, John
Scooteroo, Agnes Water. John, James and Me
Scuba Diving Great barrier reef
Parakeets in cairns
Fruit bats in cairns